Skip to main content

Featured Post

Walt Disney World 2024: 5 New Things At Walt Disney World In 2024!

  Walt Disney World 2024 Since its grand opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has remained an unparalleled symbol of enchantment and imagination, captivating the hearts of millions of visitors each year. The year of 2024 will be no different. Here are five new things coming to Walt Disney World Parks in 2024. Park Reservations Lifted After re-opening from the pandemic, Disney introduced the park reservation system. In addition to buying tickets, guests would book a reservation for the park they wanted to visit and which day. This was an excellent way to keep track of capacity. This system meant that guests knew in advanced which park they would be able to get into which day. However, there were some downsides. Some guests hate having to plan out every single minute of their vacation. Some like to wake up in the morning and decide which park they want to go to based on their current vibes. Now, they have to make that decision months in advance. Fortunately, Walt Disney World is lif

DCP Application Tips Part 3: Phone Interview



The phone interview is the most nerve-racking stage of the application process for many candidates. The last two parts were done electronically, and now you have to speak to a real live Disney Cast Member who will decide your fate.


I was nervous for my phone interview. I thought I had scheduled it for 9:00am, but I had actually scheduled it for 9 at night! I was jittery all day for that phone call. My phone interview ended up being very easy.


I had spent years researching tips for it. I read blogs and watched YouTube videos of the questions I would be asked. Before my interview, I went through the list of questions I had collected and typed out responses to each one in a document. I sound much more eloquent in writing than I do in speech. I wrote an outline of responses and organized them by subject. I looked at my responses so much that I had them memorized. I think I even rehearsed some questions out loud (when my roommates were gone). During my phone interview, I had the document of responses pulled up on my computer. I ended up not needing to look at it at all.

 

Some do not like to memorize answers because it can come off as robotic. However, having the answers prepared calmed my nerves. I do horrible being questioned on the spot. Having an idea of what I was going to say actually made the conversation flow more naturally than having lots of “um…”s  and awkward silences.


Below are portions of my Q&A doc. I have outlined some specific anecdotes to help me elaborate when answering questions.


Even though it was a phone interview, I dressed up. I wore a button up blouse and did my makeup. It made me feel professional. If wearing sweats and laying in bed during the phone call relaxes your nerves, do it! 


Make sure you are free from distractions. I told my dorm mates that I had a job interview and asked them to clear out for half an hour. I paced around my room and smiled the whole conversation. I was hyped up on nerves, but I channeled that into a positive energy. It was 10 at night in Florida, and I was one of the last interviews of what must have been a very long day. 


Keep a friendly attitude and a genuine interest in what the interviewer has to say.  The interviewer will tell you their name at the beginning of the phone call. Address the interviewer by their name. It shows that you pay attention and are personable. Be polite and thank the interviewer at the end of the call. 


The main focus of my interview was not how Disney would be a magical experience for me, but how I can bring the magic to Disney. I had never been to Disney prior to the DCP, but I didn’t launch into some sob story about how it was my dream to be in the happiest place on earth for six months to escape my current depressing situation. Some people are advocates of the “sob story”. I did have a roommate who got in on a “sob story,” but I don’t recommend it. Explain why Disney needs you. How would you be a Walt-approved Cast Member? The DCP gets hundreds of thousands of applications every semester. Why should they choose you? 


One tip I have is to ask the interviewer questions. At the end of the interview, they will ask you if you have any questions about the program. I ended up asking the interviewer about herself. I remember asking her if she had done the Disney College Program. She had! She told me a little about her career with Disney, and I thought it was so cool how the DCP really can set you up for success. 


Hopefully after your phone interview, you will receive an acceptance email.




It might take some time to get an acceptance email. It can take a couple of days or a whole month.  I waited about a week. And sometimes waiting can be the worst part. But as Walt Disney says, “Why worry? If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying won’t make it any better.”


Here are some portions of my q&a draft. The questions are bolded and I outlined what I talked about. 


Roommates/Housing:


What are some challenges that can occur with a roommate and how do you solve it?

I actually did recently have a conflict with my roommates. Chores…I was initially a little scared because I am not a big fan of conflict, I want to make everybody happy and I don’t want to say anything that could hurt someone else’s feelings. I called a roommate meeting and we redivided up the chores and put together a weekly rotating schedule. That way, everybody had to do their chore by the end of the week, and we could hold each other more accountable. 


How would you handle having an international roommate?

I would be friendly and include them in activities…

It’s hard to be away from family and friends so I would try my best to make them feel welcome to America. 



Previous Jobs:


What was your favorite job you’ve ever had?

Summer Day Camp counselor

I volunteered for 3 years and worked officially for another 3

I love interacting with kids

Get to organizing fun activities like sidewalk chalk and bounce house 

I like that I can be a role model to them (teach them, answer questions, responsibility)


Were you ever in a situation where you felt overwhelmed? How did you handle it?

Pumpkin patch was really busy one day

I was the only one operating a register there

I apologized to the customers in line, and called to ask my boss to send up someone to help me


How would you define good teamwork?

Good teamwork sometimes means putting your individual wants aside. It means being responsible and accountable (if you don’t show up to a performance, there’s going to be an empty spot)

Keeping energy levels up, staying positive


DCP related:


How would the DCP help you professionally/why would you benefit at the DCP?

Psychology major, ultimate goal is to be a child clinical psychologist. I do have experience with working with children, but everyone is unique and each child is going to be different from the rest, so the more practice I have interacting with a wide range of kids and their parents would benefit me.


I am also to take classes and learn more about the process of entering a professional field.


I am excited about getting to meet people from all over the country and possibly networking with them. My second major is English with an emphasis on Creative Writing. Who knows? I might meet a future editor or publisher while at Disney.


What positions do you find yourself the most qualified for?

  1. Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique: 
  • Color guard/dance - had to learn and executive a variety of different hair styles and makeup looks, can learn hairstyles quickly, did them on other teammates, very comfortable with styling other people (even though it’s not technically salon experience, I probably have the same amount of hands-on experience as someone who had the opportunity to work in a salon, about 5 years under my belt)
  • 5 years of experience working with children and I feel confident in handling different personalities and different situations (apprehensive girl, super excited/energetic one, crying)
  • Kids might ask seemingly random questions. I know a lot of applicants probably say this, but I am a Disney animated movie buff. I wrote my senior research paper on how contemporary culture effects different elements in Disney animated movie. If a girl has a question about a Disney princess, I am the perfect person to answer it. 
  • Used to high-pace environments and time constraints
  • Can work in a team; if I am not busy at the moment and I see a coworker needing help with her Princess, I can jump in and do her hair or makeup or nails, or whatever needs to be done. 
  • Can use a computer system to make reservations/check in
  • Character of Fairy Godmother in Training - know how to perform and embrace that character to help make the experience more magical

This is the role that I would feel the most confident doing because I can take all of the skills I learned from my various, unique experiences and apply them into one job.


2. Merchandise

Front desk/gift shop (3 years)

Customer service


3. Recreation

Camp counselor - had to plan and regulate activities


How would you handle an emergency?

I would remain calm and follow any procedure that I may have learned in orientation/training. 


How would you handle a shy girl?

I would gently approach her

Ask for name (turn to parents)

Address her by name and make her feel welcome

Try to start a conversation (are you having fun at Disneyworld? have you seen mickey yet? who’s your favorite princess?)

Ease her into the makeover


How would you make a guest’s day?

Just by serving them as best as I can, whether that be answering a question, retrieving a product for them, or starting a conversation with someone. I would go out of my way to do anything I can to make a guest happy. 


Questions to ask Interviewer:


Did you ever attend the DCP?


Can I request a location to work?


Have you ever been to Disneyland or Disney Word? What was your favorite part?


How did you become involved in the Disney company? What did you major in during college?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Complete List of Disney Animated Movies

 So, you want to know or watch every Disney animated movie ever? Disney Darling Blog has a comprehensive list of Disney movies, broken. down by the studio from which the films were produced.   Disney Animation Studios When most people think of "Disney movies", they are probably referring to Disney Animation Studios films. These movies were made from Disney's official animation studio and theatrically released.  At the time of writing, Disney Animation Studios (DAS) has released 61 movies. In this list, these movies are broken down by era. The Golden Era starts off with the massively successful Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The movies in this era were critically acclaimed and helped establish Walt Disney as a serious filmmaker.  During WWII, the Disney movie studio struggled. To save money, many films were made up of a compilation of cartoon shorts. This era is referred to the Package Era, or sometimes the Wartime Era.  With the war over, Disney could finally return to

Walt Disney World Without Genie+

Last year, Disney introduced its new Genie+ system. Basically, Genie+ is the replacement for FastPass, except you have to pay to use it now. The FastPass system has been a staple in many Disney trips for 20 years. I myself was a huge advocate. But doing Disney without Genie+ or Lighting Lane is totally possible. Many people have reported on forums that Genie+ is definitely a bonus and not at all a requirement. Here are some tips for a Walt Disney World vacation WITHOUT Genie+: Check Wait Times Walt Disney World's app is a must for every trip. On the app, you can check wait times for every attraction across the resort. You many want to download the app a few weeks before your trip and take note of the wait times throughout the days leading up to your visit to get an idea of when the parks are the most crowded.  Some rides like The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will have a permanent hour-long wait no matter what.  Some rides like Splash Mountain (Tiana's Version) hit their peak during

Walt Disney World Parks: The Basics

Are you planning a trip to Walt Disney World? Or just want to learn more about the parks and don't know where to start? Disney Darling breaks down the basics for you! Disneyland vs. Walt Disney World Disneyland and Disney World are two different parks, located on opposite sides of the country. As mentioned in this post , it is a common misconception that Disneyland and Disney World are the same thing.  Disneyland is the first Disney theme park ever, opening in 1955. It is located in Anaheim, California, near Los Angeles.  Disneyland has two different parks: Disneyland Park (with the castle), and Disney's California Adventure (or DCA). Disneyland also has three hotels and the Downtown Disney shopping district.  Walt Disney World is located in Bay Lake, Florida, near Orlando. It opened in 1971, after Walt's passing. Walt Disney World has 4 different theme parks, 2 water parks, 28 hotels, and the Disney Springs shopping district.  There are quite a few more differences, but lo