Skip to main content

Featured Post

Walt Disney World 2024: 5 New Things At Walt Disney World In 2024!

  Walt Disney World 2024 Since its grand opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has remained an unparalleled symbol of enchantment and imagination, captivating the hearts of millions of visitors each year. The year of 2024 will be no different. Here are five new things coming to Walt Disney World Parks in 2024. Park Reservations Lifted After re-opening from the pandemic, Disney introduced the park reservation system. In addition to buying tickets, guests would book a reservation for the park they wanted to visit and which day. This was an excellent way to keep track of capacity. This system meant that guests knew in advanced which park they would be able to get into which day. However, there were some downsides. Some guests hate having to plan out every single minute of their vacation. Some like to wake up in the morning and decide which park they want to go to based on their current vibes. Now, they have to make that decision months in advance. Fortunately, Walt Disney World is lif

My Ranking of All The Magic Kingdom Lands

6. Liberty Square
Liberty Square has some cool things in it – a replica of the Liberty Bell, historically accurate building facades and a genuine Presidential Seal that was approved by Congress. It’s got the classic Haunted Mansion and the Riverboat. But this land is tiny, and doesn’t have room for much anything else. That, coupled with my own American Disillusionment at the time makes Liberty Square not something I am dying to visit.

Also, points off for the sewer system. It’s a “fun” fact that seems to be mentioned in every single article about Disney “secrets”, and it’s one I wish I could unlearn. I, for one, do not wish to reminded of literal actual shit while walking around what’s supposed to be the happiest place on Earth.

I do love that Christmas shop, though.

5. Frontierland
When I look at Frontierland objectively, it’s an awesome land. It’s got two iconic mountain rides right next to each other. And for those that hang on to “the good ol’ days”, we still have the Country Bear Jamboree. As far as food goes, Frontierland has one of my favorite quick service restaurants, Pecos Bill. And if you want that totally necessary pic for the ‘Gram, Frontierland has a churro cart. Bonus points to the wide, open pathways along the riverside that are as scenic as they are convenient. 

But subjectively…I am not a fan of Frontierland. I spent part of my childhood in the Ozarks. The closest theme park to me was Silver Dollar City, which is basically if Frontierland was the entire park. So the theming is a little too played out in my life. When I go to a Disney park, I like to escape somewhere else.

4. Adventureland
Adventureland’s theming is one that makes sense, but one I don’t particularly enjoy.  It’s patchwork-y, and has sections borrowing from all parts of the world. It’s cool because it’s not supposed to represent just one place (you’re an Adventurer, you go everywhere!) but it’s also confusing. While I love how the Caribbean section flows seamlessly into Frontierland, I really wish we had a bigger jungle/ South American section. Once I did the Pirate Treasure map game and it took me all over the land to discover details in gift shops and hidden corners. That is a cool touch and something I highly recommend.  When it comes to food, Adventureland is one of the only places you can get a delicious Dole Whip. It also has the Skipper Canteen, and while I’ve never personally eaten there, I’ve heard it has some awesome SEA references (and good food!).

Where Adventureland falls flat to me is attractions. Pirates, Jungle Cruise and the Tiki Room are never going to be my favorites. The Magic Carpets are cute, but I question if they were necessary. And The Swiss Treehouse is just not something I care about. 

My biggest gripe with Adventureland is how congested it is. There are so many amazing details in the land, and I’d love to grab a Dole Whip, relax and wander around, but you can’t. You’ll get swept up in the rush to Pirates. There’s nowhere to really relax in Adventureland. Maybe that’s the point, though. After all, adventure doesn’t really happen while you’re idling by. But I still love my people watching and leisurely exploring, both of which are near impossible to do in Adventureland. 

3. Tomorrowland
Most Disney nerds have a love/hate relationship with Tomorrowland. In the beginning, it was supposed to introduce new ideas to the public, informing them of what their future could look like. But times change faster than theme parks, and Tomorrowland quickly became a museum of What Could’ve Happened. The good news about this ironic museum is that Tomorrowland (especially the one at MK) has preserved some classic attractions. As far as I know, The Carrousel of Progress is the only attraction in all of WDW that Walt himself touched as it was physically moved from Disneyland. MK’s Tomorrowland also gets to boast about still having our People Mover.  And MK’s Space Mountain is the original.

But I do still really wish Imagineers would somehow be able to keep up with the original vision of Tomorrowland OR fully commit to the Discoveryland steampunk theme. Right now they’re straddling the line between 1860’s steampunk and 1950’s futurism with a dash of the 1990’s. A job half done is never right.

I considered splitting this section in two and having separate ranks for Tomorrowland and Tomorrowland At Night, because Tomorrowland At Night is so cool.  That’s when the land really comes alive with neon lights everywhere. It feels as if you’re in outer space and gives a whole new vibe to the theming.

2. Fantasyland
Fantasyland is the clear-choice winner for a lot of people. When you think of Disney, you think fantasy and castles and princesses. Fantasyland has all of that. And I love my Princesses. 

Fantaslyand is divided up into three sections. The castle walls are a concentrated area of attractions, food stands and gift shops. This area bottlenecks and floods like crazy. I’m also not a huge fan of the fair theme. The Storybook Circus is cute and features Dumbo (which is shamelessly one of my favorite rides) but not much else.  By far, the best part of Fantasyland is the Enchanted Forest. The flow from the Dwarf’s mine to Belle’s village to Eric’s seaside castle is magnificent. It really does feel as if you’ve stepped into a Disney movie. And that’s exactly what Imagineers have strived to do from the very beginning.  As amazing as Fantasyland is, there’s one land I love a little more.

1. Main Street
I adore Main Street. I love the turn-of-the-century aesthetic. I love the feeling you get stepping under the train station tunnels that give way to the sun shining over the Castle. It reminds of the view of Cinderella’s attic window, how you could see the quaint village buildings leading up to the far-off castle in the distance. I love people watching from the train station. I love finding out the stories behind the names on the windows. I love that I have my own window, the one for Cast Members outside of the Europium where I once worked. I love weaving in and out of the shops, and how each has its own unique theme. I love Mary’s dress on display. I love the gigantic 1901 on the floor of the Town Square Theater, a majestic reminder of Walt you pass over as you get in line to meet Mickey. I love the gas lamps. I love the modern convenience of Starbucks. I love seeing which characters will meet out under the flag pole that day. I love the Halloween banners and the Christmas reefs. I love watching fireworks. I love getting ice cream or stocking up on confectionaries at the end of the night. I love the golden lights shining down on the park in the dark night as people meander the shops and reminisce about their day. I love walking under the “See you real soon sign!” as Cast Members wish you a goodnight.

Main Street may not have the best attractions or food, but it’s still got that warm, welcoming magic. The anticipation of the park in the morning and the settling dreaminess as the day ends. Main Street is perhaps the most important land in all of the Magic Kingdom. It’s certainly my favorite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Complete List of Disney Animated Movies

 So, you want to know or watch every Disney animated movie ever? Disney Darling Blog has a comprehensive list of Disney movies, broken. down by the studio from which the films were produced.   Disney Animation Studios When most people think of "Disney movies", they are probably referring to Disney Animation Studios films. These movies were made from Disney's official animation studio and theatrically released.  At the time of writing, Disney Animation Studios (DAS) has released 61 movies. In this list, these movies are broken down by era. The Golden Era starts off with the massively successful Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The movies in this era were critically acclaimed and helped establish Walt Disney as a serious filmmaker.  During WWII, the Disney movie studio struggled. To save money, many films were made up of a compilation of cartoon shorts. This era is referred to the Package Era, or sometimes the Wartime Era.  With the war over, Disney could finally return to

Walt Disney World Without Genie+

Last year, Disney introduced its new Genie+ system. Basically, Genie+ is the replacement for FastPass, except you have to pay to use it now. The FastPass system has been a staple in many Disney trips for 20 years. I myself was a huge advocate. But doing Disney without Genie+ or Lighting Lane is totally possible. Many people have reported on forums that Genie+ is definitely a bonus and not at all a requirement. Here are some tips for a Walt Disney World vacation WITHOUT Genie+: Check Wait Times Walt Disney World's app is a must for every trip. On the app, you can check wait times for every attraction across the resort. You many want to download the app a few weeks before your trip and take note of the wait times throughout the days leading up to your visit to get an idea of when the parks are the most crowded.  Some rides like The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will have a permanent hour-long wait no matter what.  Some rides like Splash Mountain (Tiana's Version) hit their peak during

Walt Disney World Parks: The Basics

Are you planning a trip to Walt Disney World? Or just want to learn more about the parks and don't know where to start? Disney Darling breaks down the basics for you! Disneyland vs. Walt Disney World Disneyland and Disney World are two different parks, located on opposite sides of the country. As mentioned in this post , it is a common misconception that Disneyland and Disney World are the same thing.  Disneyland is the first Disney theme park ever, opening in 1955. It is located in Anaheim, California, near Los Angeles.  Disneyland has two different parks: Disneyland Park (with the castle), and Disney's California Adventure (or DCA). Disneyland also has three hotels and the Downtown Disney shopping district.  Walt Disney World is located in Bay Lake, Florida, near Orlando. It opened in 1971, after Walt's passing. Walt Disney World has 4 different theme parks, 2 water parks, 28 hotels, and the Disney Springs shopping district.  There are quite a few more differences, but lo